Redwood City Felony DUI
Driving under the influence of alcohol and/or drugs is illegal in Redwood City, California. It is also unlawful to operate a motor vehicle with a blood alcohol content (BAC) level above the legal limit. California Vehicle Code §23152 is the primary DUI law in California.
A DUI conviction can be expensive. It could also result in substantial jail time, especially if the charge is a felony DUI. Therefore, you need a Redwood City DUI lawyer with experience and resources to fight the DUI charges.
At Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, our Redwood City criminal defense lawyers have over 30 years of combined legal experience. Our law firm only handles criminal matters. Since our founding in 2005, we have won over 3,000 criminal cases.
Don’t risk losing your driving privileges and possibly your freedom. Instead, contact our law firm at (650) 299-0500. to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case with a Redwood City felony DUI attorney.
How Our Redwood City DUI Lawyers Help You With a DUI Charge
Our team includes a California State Bar Certified Specialist in criminal law and a nationally published criminal defense author. We have the experience to handle any type of drunk driving case, including felony DUIs.
Our legal team is serious about your defense. The goal is to have your DUI charges dismissed. If not, we will develop the best defense strategy for your case. That defense could include taking the case to court or negotiating a fair plea bargain.
When you hire our award-winning Redwood City DUI lawyers at Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, to handle your DUI case, you can expect us to:
- Investigate the circumstances leading to your arrest for drunk driving, including allegations of police misconduct and errors
- Analyze the state’s evidence against you to determine the strengths and weaknesses
- Challenging the results of blood tests and breath tests to determine BAC levels
- Interview witnesses and gather evidence
- Negotiate a plea deal to reduce the charges and minimize the penalties
- Aggressively represent you in court and argue the case in front of a jury when that is in your best interests
We have tried over 50 criminal trials. Our lawyers are seasoned trial attorneys and skilled negotiators. At Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, we do what is best for our clients.
Call our law office to schedule your free case evaluation with an experienced DUI lawyer in Redwood City, CA.
What Is a Felony DUI Charge in Redwood City, CA?
Most DUIs in California are misdemeanors. However, you can be charged with felony DUI if you:
- Have a prior felony DUI on your record
- Caused bodily injury to another person while driving under the influence
- Have three or more wet reckless or DUI convictions on your record within the past ten years
- Caused the death of another person while driving intoxicated
Aggravated factors could also lead to a felony DUI charge. It is also wise to remember that a conviction for drun
k driving in another state could count against you as a prior DUI for charging and sentencing purposes.
What Are the Penalties for a Felony DUI Conviction?
The penalties for felony driving under the influence are more severe than the punishment for a misdemeanor DUI offense. A conviction for felony DUI could result in:
- Up to four years in state prison
- Fines and assessments up to $5,000
- Mandatory attendance at DUI school
- Status as a Habitual Traffic Offender (HTO) by the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for three years
- Revocation of your driver’s license for five years
- A strike on your record that counts toward California’s Three Strikes Law when you cause someone’s death or bodily injury to another person while drinking and driving
- Payment of restitution to accident victims
You could also face other criminal charges along with the felony DUI charge.
For example, if you kill someone, you could be charged with DUI second-degree murder (Watson Murder) or gross vehicular manslaughter while intoxicated. You could be charged with child endangerment if a child is in the vehicle.
Potential DUI Defenses for a Felony DUI in Redwood City
A number of potential DUI defenses could apply to your case. A skilled criminal defense lawyer analyzes the circumstances and evidence to determine the strongest defenses. Potential DUI defenses include:
- Rising alcohol levels, residual mouth alcohol, or a medical condition is the reason for a high BAC level
- Errors in the collection, testing, and storage of samples for chemical tests
- Inaccurate and unreliable field sobriety tests
- The police officers lacked probable cause for an arrest
- You were arrested at an unlawful DUI checkpoint
- The police officer lacked reasonable suspicion to make a traffic stop
- The alcohol or drugs in your system did not impair your ability to operate a motor vehicle
Law enforcement officers nor the prosecutor tell you if you have a valid defense to drunk driving charges. You need to consult with a Redwood City criminal defense lawyer to learn that.
Schedule a Free Consultation With Our Redwood City Felony DUI Lawyers
A felony DUI charge is serious. You can trust that our legal team at Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, treats your case with the highest level of attentiveness.
Our lawyers force the prosecutor’s office to prove their case. We never give up until all legal avenues are exhausted. Contact Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law today to schedule a free consultation with one of our Redwood City felony DUI lawyers.
You can also contact a DUI lawyer in San Jose.