Redwood City 2nd Time DUI Lawyer
If you have been arrested for a DUI in Redwood City, California, you may feel that the situation is hopeless. However, even if this isn’t your first time facing a DUI arrest, there are options available to help you navigate the process successfully and reach a positive outcome.
One of the most important steps you can take is to hire an experienced DUI attorney to defend you. Fortunately, we’re here to help. Contact Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law to schedule a free consultation with a trusted Redwood City 2nd time DUI lawyer. Contact us at (650) 299-0500.
How Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law Can Help If You’re Arrested for DUI
If you’ve been arrested for a DUI in Redwood City, CA, you may not be sure of your legal options for your defense. DUI law in California is complicated, involving both the criminal justice and administrative systems. At Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, our Redwood City DUI attorneys have more than 30 years of combined experience and have helped resolve thousands of cases. If you hire us to represent you, we’ll be able to:
Assess the evidence against you to determine possible defense strategies
- File motions to suppress any illegally obtained evidence
- Research precedents set by past DUI cases handled in the jurisdiction where you were arrested
- Contact witnesses who were present when you were arrested
- Negotiate on your behalf for reduced charges or other acceptable outcomes that limit potential consequences associated with a DUI charge
For help after a second-time DUI arrest in Redwood City, California, contact Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law to schedule a free consultation.
Overview of DUI in California
California takes driving under the influence (DUI) very seriously, with harsh penalties and repercussions for those who receive a second DUI conviction. It’s important to understand what constitutes a DUI in California.
California Vehicle Code Laws: Understanding the Basics
There are two primary DUI laws for adult drivers in California:
- Vehicle Code 23152(a) VC: prohibits driving under the influence of alcohol if you don’t drive safely even when BAC is within the legal limit.
- Vehicle Code 23152(b) VC: prohibits driving with a blood alcohol content (BAC) of .08% or above, even if you are driving safely.
Most DUI cases in California involve both of these code sections. However, there are additional code sections to consider, depending on the driver’s age and professional status:
- Drivers with a commercial driver’s license (CDL) or those on probation for a prior DUI case cannot operate a vehicle with a BAC higher than .03%.
- Drivers under 21 years of age cannot operate a vehicle with a BAC higher than .01%.
- Additionally, it is illegal to operate a vehicle while impaired by controlled substances, prescription drugs (e.g., opioids), and over-the-counter drugs (e.g., cough syrup).
DUI cases are often highly fact-intensive. As a result, it can require expert assistance and careful analysis to ensure your rights are maintained and protected.
What Are the Penalties for 2nd Time DUI in Redwood City, California?
Being charged with a DUI can be an incredibly stressful and life-altering experience. However, being charged with a second DUI within a 10-year period in California can lead to even more severe penalties and implications. In this case, you may face the following penalties:
- Summary probation for three to five years
- Up to one year in county jail – with a minimum of 96 hours
- Driver’s license suspension
- Fines ranging from $390 – $1,000
- Completion of DUI school
- Ignition interlock device installation
Other penalties could result as well, based on the facts of the case.
Important Factors Influencing Penalties
Several factors may increase the severity of penalties for a second DUI offense:
- Higher BAC levels: A blood alcohol content (BAC) of 0.15% or above may result in an increased sentence.
- Refusal to undergo a chemical test: This can lead to increased license suspensions.
- Accidents and other aggravating factors: Causing an accident or excessive speeding, as well as having a minor present in the car during a DUI, can increase penalties.
- Underage drivers: Violating Zero Tolerance Laws may result in additional sanctions.
- Open container: Driving with an open container can lead to further penalties.
If left unchecked, an overzealous prosecutor may try to impose more severe penalties than what is fair. Our Redwood City criminal attorneys won’t let that happen to the best of our ability. Call today for a free case review to get started.
What Defenses Can Be Raised if I’m Accused of DUI in Redwood City, CA?
If you have been arrested for a second-time DUI in Redwood City, several defenses may be available to you.
- No Cause To Pull You OverThe first defense is that the police lacked a valid reason to pull you over. For example, if they had no probable cause to stop your car because of suspicious driving behavior or other illegal activity, then any evidence gathered after the encounter could be excluded after a successful motion to suppress.
- Reliability of Chemical Tests: Another possible defense revolves around whether breath testing machines were reliable and/or blood samples were contaminated when being analyzed. This could produce doubt about impairment based upon false readings, broken chain of custody, or a law enforcement officer incorrectly administering the test
- Rising BAC: Your lawyer can present the rising BAC defense if you’ve been arrested for a DUI. This means that you were not legally intoxicated at the time of driving but only became so by the time you were tested.
- Non-intoxication Witnesses and Evidence Showing Innocence: If you have witnesses that can testify they were with you before and during the time of arrest and that you were not under the influence, this can help convince a judge or jury of your innocence.
Additionally, your attorney can review body-cam footage from the officers. Oftentimes, doing so shows that the observations they made about you being intoxicated were fabricated.
Ultimately, the defenses we’ll utilize in service of your case will come down to the facts and circumstances of your particular situation. We’ll cut no corners when it comes to researching and evaluating your case (as well as the prosecution’s case against you) such that we arrive at a plan of action that is in your best interest.
Schedule a Free Case Evaluation With Our Redwood City 2nd Time DUI Lawyers
It is essential to understand the repercussions of a 2nd time DUI offense and to retain representation from an experienced criminal defense lawyer to fiercely advocate for your rights.
For legal help, contact Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law today to schedule a free consultation with a trusted Redwood City second-time DUI lawyer.