San Jose Sex Crimes Lawyer
Were you arrested and charged with a sex crime in San Jose, CA? Even the mere allegation that you committed a sex offense can destroy your reputation. A conviction can haunt you for the rest of your life. An experienced San Jose sex crimes lawyer at Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law can fight to protect you, call us at (408) 217-8818.
Collectively, our lawyers have over 30 years of experience in criminal law fighting for clients in Northern California. We know that your future is on the line. We also know how to help you minimize the fallout.
Even if you suspect that you’re under investigation, we highly recommend that you get legal advice quickly. Call our law offices in San Jose, California, to schedule a free consultation so that we can start building your aggressive legal defense today.
How Can Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law Help if You Were Arrested for a Sex Crime in San Jose?
If you have been accused of a sex crime, it’s important to hire an experienced lawyer to protect your rights. Prosecutors will aggressively seek a conviction. You deserve a San Jose criminal defense lawyer who knows how to fight back.
At Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, our legal team is led by a state bar-certified Criminal Law Specialist. We’ve also been listed as Super Lawyers’ “Rising Stars” and the National Trial Lawyers Top 100 in recognition of our high-quality legal representation.
When you hire our team, you can count on us to:
- Conduct our own investigation into your case
- Identify all favorable evidence in your case
- Help you understand your options, including any plea deals
- Negotiate with the prosecution behind the scenes
- Identify any holes in the prosecution’s case
- Work to have your charges reduced or the case dismissed
- Aggressively fight to protect your rights at trial
Our lawyers don’t leave anything to chance. Neither should you. Make sure that you’re getting the strongest defense possible by calling our experienced San Jose criminal defense attorneys for a free initial consultation today.
Overview of the Laws on Sex Crimes in California
Many different crimes in California are classified as sex crimes. Of course, some carry more serious penalties than others. These criminal offenses can range from misdemeanor-level crimes to serious felonies with life-changing punishments.
Regardless of the criminal charges you’re facing, you shouldn’t treat the charge lightly. California courts tend to punish sex offenders harshly regardless of the circumstances.
Our lawyers handle all types of sex crime cases in San Jose, including those involving:
- Sexual assault
- Sexual battery
- Aggravated sexual assault
- Child molestation
- Child pornography
- Sexual abuse
- Date rape
- Statutory rape
- Lewd conduct
- Indecent exposure
- Prostitution and solicitation
- Failure to register as a sex offender
Were you charged with a sex crime? Call our San Jose sex crimes attorneys at Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law to learn more about potential defense strategies in your case.
Below is an overview of the types of sex crime cases we handle.
Rape is, of course, one of the most serious sex crimes in California. Rape is defined in California Penal Code Section 261 PC. You can be convicted of rape if the prosecution can prove that you had sexual intercourse with another person without their consent.
The prosecution may charge you with rape if you:
- Used force or threats to have sexual intercourse with another adult without consent
- Had sexual intercourse with another adult who was intoxicated or unable to consent
Rape is a serious felony.
Sexual Assault and Battery
Under California Penal Code Section 243.4 PC, sexual battery is defined as touching someone else’s intimate parts if all of the following are true:
- The victim is unlawfully restrained, unconscious, or institutionalized because of a serious disabled or mentally incapacity
- The touching is against the will of the victim
- The touching is for the purpose of sexual arousal, sexual gratification, or sexual abuse
Sexual assault can be a misdemeanor or a felony in California. Ultimately, the severity of the charge will depend on your criminal history and the circumstances of the offense.
Child pornography charges are always serious. Whether you’re charged with possessing, controlling, viewing, or creating child pornography, it’s important to speak with an experienced defense attorney immediately.
Depending on the circumstances, you could face felony or misdemeanor charges under California Penal Code Section 311.11 PC.
Lewd Acts Involving Children
Committing lewd acts on a child is typically a felony. You can be convicted under California Penal Code Section 288 PC if you touch a child’s intimate parts or encourage the child to engage in sexual acts.
The severity of the crime will depend on:
- The victim’s age
- The difference in age between the defendant and the victim
- Whether the defendant is accused of using force to commit the act
Sex crimes involving children are always serious criminal matters. If you’ve been accused of a sex crime involving a child, call our law firm in San Jose for immediate assistance today.
Under California Penal Code Section 288.7(a) PC, child molestation is a serious felony punishable by between 25 years and life in prison. The most serious child molestation charges apply when an adult who is 18 or older engages in sexual intercourse or sodomy with a child who is 10 years of age or younger.
You can face a minimum sentence of 15 years and a maximum life sentence in state prison for engaging in oral copulation or sexual penetration with a child who is 10 years old or younger.
Prostitution and Solicitation
It’s illegal to engage in sexual acts for compensation in the state of California. You could face prostitution charges under California Penal Code Section 647(b) PC for engaging in prostitution, soliciting a prostitute, or even agreeing to engage in prostitution.
Prosecutors can convict on indecent exposure charges if they can prove you willfully exposed your private parts to others.
To convict, the state must prove:
- The exposure was intentional
- You were in a public place or somewhere where others were present
- You intended to arouse or offend
Most of the time, indecent exposure is a misdemeanor. However, you could face more serious felony charges depending on your criminal history and the circumstances.
What Are the Penalties for Sex Crimes in San Jose, California?
A sex crime conviction can change your life forever. Even after you’ve completed your punishment, California sex offender registration requirements can haunt you for a lifetime. You should expect state prosecutors to pursue the most severe punishment possible if convicted.
The penalties for a sex crime conviction can vary widely from case to case.
Depending on whether you’re facing felony or misdemeanor charges, you could face:
- Years in state prison
- Time in county jail
- Supervised parole
- Community service
- Court-ordered counseling or rehabilitation
- Sex offender registration
Sex offenders also face severe collateral consequences, including:
- Loss of child custody
- Damage to personal and professional relationships
- A lasting criminal record
- Difficulty finding housing or employment
- Immigration problems or deportation
- Loss of the right to own a firearm
- Loss of professional licenses
If you’re required to register as a sex offender, your personal information and information about the offense will be entered into a searchable database. That information can be accessed by neighbors, landlords, and even potential employers.
If you’re required to register, you’ll also have to notify law enforcement anytime you move. You may also be required to stay away from parks, schools, and anywhere children may be present.
What Defenses Can Be Raised if I’m Accused of a Sex Crime?
If you’ve been charged with a sex crime, make no mistake. You need a strong defense. At Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law, we know that every single case is unique. We’re committed to building a custom-tailored legal defense for every client we take on.
Depending on your specific case, elements of an effective defense may include:
- The alleged victim consented to the sexual activity
- You were a victim of mistaken identity
- Alibi defenses
- Challenges to the viability of DNA evidence and other forensic evidence
- Challenges to witness credibility
- Constitutional violations, including illegal search and seizure
- Miranda violations, which can lead to statements being excluded from consideration
Many sex crimes cases involve “he said/she said” situations. Unfortunately, people often face sex crime charges based on false allegations. If that’s true in your case, you can count on our lawyers to locate the evidence to prove it.
Regardless of the facts, our lawyers believe that every client deserves the strongest defense possible. We know how to make it tough for the prosecution to prove their case beyond a reasonable doubt–and we’re ready to put our skills to work for you.
Schedule a Free Consultation With a San Jose Sex Crimes Lawyer
An aggressive defense is the only option if you’ve been accused of a sex crime. We’ve been serving San Jose clients for years. You can get the legal representation you need and deserve by calling Ahmed & Sukaram, Attorneys at Law for a free consultation with an experienced San Jose sex crimes lawyer today.
Our San Jose, CA criminal defense law firm also provides:
- Assault Defense Lawyers in San Jose, CA
- DUI Attorneys in San Jose, CA
- San Jose Domestic Violence Attorneys
- Drug Crimes Attorneys in San Jose, CA
- Theft Crimes Attorneys in San Jose, CA
- Weapons Charges Lawyers in San Jose, CA
- Battery Lawyers in San Jose, CA
- Violent Crimes Lawyers in San Jose, CA
- White Collar Crimes Lawyers in San Jose, CA